Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A Challenge...

I am always pleasantly surprised to see how willing people are to reach out a hand of service. They take the time to make a difference in someone's life.

Walking across campus I see so many people who are doing exactly that. They are reaching out through a warm smile or simply saying "hi." Others are taking a moment to reach down and pick up a piece of garbage, only to make the world a little bit better. These people and many others around the world are making a difference, no matter how small it may seem,  and sometimes the result is a lot larger than they'd think. 

I am Nicole and I am currently pursuing my bachelors degree. I attend my same classes in the same mundane way that I always do. I walk to and from each course and across campus in my own little world. I fail to notice who is passing by or anyone that is walking around me. In fact, to be honest I don't realize what is taking place around me at all. There could be garbage on the grass or someone who dropped their stuff and I am so caught up in my own world that I don't notice at all. 

I think that we all do this. We have our personal routines and we adhere to them. We don't really take the time to look around and see what is happening or what we can do to help. So to myself and to everyone I am issuing this challenge; LOOK UP! Look for opportunities to help, watch for people to serve, say "hi," and reach out a hand. Make a Difference!

I'm not saying you need to go clean someone's apartment or shovel their sidewalks. Don't get me wrong those are great to do, but I am referring to little things that don't take much time at all. A smile can go a long ways, and a "hi" could make someone's day. Make a conscious effort to find something you can do.

Here are five things that are really simple to get us started:
  1. Smile
  2. Say "Hi" to someone new
  3. Open a door for someone
  4. Pick up a piece of garbage
  5. Write a Thank-you note
These are so simple to  do and most of them only take a few seconds. I'm sure each of us can take a few second of our day to make a difference. Don't wait until tomorrow, Start TODAY! There is so much good that you can do!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a great subject to focus on, I look forward to seeing your ideas.

    ReplyDelete